Interesting night last night as usual for the NFL Draft. I still hate the Thursday/Friday start with rounds 4-7 on Saturday. That noon to 10 pm run of the first 3 rounds on a Saturday was great. It is like moving all the NCAA Tournament hoops games to prime-time on Thursday and Friday and not having any afternoon games. Why ruin a great thing? (Money...)
Some good things that came out of last night...
1) The Falcons took a player that I am pleased with, as I anticipated. I was fine last night at #19 with trading down, taking a linebacker (Kindle/Spoon), or a receiver (Bryant/Thomas). I really like how we got the pick in after just a minute or two. It was apparent that TD knew who he wanted and couldn't wait to make the pick (The anti-Minnesota strategy).
2) The Redskins did what they had to do and took what they thought was the best offensive tackle. If you are going to give up picks for a veteran quarterback, you have to protect him.
3) My favorite part of the night - Jimmy Clausen not getting picked. My dislike for the Clausen family has been around for a while, and it started with big brother Casey. After losing to UGA as Tennessee's starting QB in 2001, Clausen could not play in the 2002 game, which UGA also won 18-13. After the game, Casey said the following:
"I could have played on one arm and we could have definitely beaten Georgia, but (the doctors) didn't want to risk it," Clausen said afterward. "If I had played that game we definitely would have won by at least two touchdowns."
So, good ole Casey gets his shot to prove it on the field the next season in Knoxville. Oops. Casey is 11-23 with 2 picks and UGA wins 41-14.
I hope Jimmy ends up with Buffalo and nobody ever hears from him again...
4) The Broncos - The Tebow-Knowshow-Thomas triple threat will be interesting to watch. How much of a head-case is Brandon Marshall? They trade him away for nothing, then trade up to get a receiver that they say reminds them of Marshall.
1) The Falcons are without a second round pick. I had heard draft gurus say that this could be the deepest 2nd round ever. Now I believe it...look at the guys that are still available.
Colt McCoy, Carlos Dunlap, Terrance Cody, Jonathan Dwyer, Toby Gerhardt, Brian Price, Arrelious Benn, Everson Griffen, Sergio Kindle, Taylor Mays, Golden Tate, Damien Williams, Aaron Hernandez, Bruce Campbell, and others. That pick at #50 would have been nice...
2) I had to witness the Pouncey twins kissing. That was the most shocking part of the night by far.
3) Boomer. When is this guy going to go away? I just want to be able to watch the NFL Draft and the Home Run Derby in peace. Please, sell your ESPN stock, retire, and move to Mexico with Harold Reynolds.
Most likely to be Offensive ROY - CJ Spiller - He will get plenty of touches on a team that needs play-makers. I think Buffalo uses him like Minnesota used AP his rookie year.
Most likely to be Defensive ROY - Eric Berry - Instant starter and ball skills that should make him an instant impact player
Looking ahead to Round 3 and the Falcons 3rd picks. It will be interesting to see who is still available when they pick. TD can go several ways with these picks. I could see the Birds taking a DE, CB, OL, RB, or WR.
I think a guy everyone can root for to fall is Jermaine Cunningham. He is 6'4 and 270 and a true pass rusher. He is from Atlanta (Stephenson) and was a beast at Florida. He would need to add 10-15 pounds, but this would be a sneaky pick.
Super-sneaky 3rd rounder? Reshad Jones, S - UGA...